1. Southern Illinois (18-3, 7-1 MVC). Last week: 1
Southern Illinois sits tied for second place in the Valley. The Salukis defeated Indiana State and Missouri State last week.
2. Northwestern (15-6, 3-5 Big Ten). Last week: 2
After taking Maryland to overtime, Northwestern was blown out at Indiana. The Wildcats’ difficult stretch continues this week against Michigan State and Iowa.
3. Northern Illinois (16-3, 5-1 MAC). Last week: 3
Northern Illinois is atop the MAC West after beating Central Michigan and Toledo last week. The Huskies play a key game Tuesday at Akron.
4. Illinois (10-10, 2-5 Big Ten). Last week: 4
Illinois ended a two-game skid Saturday with an overtime win at Minnesota.
5. DePaul (7-12, 1-6 Big East). Last week: 5
DePaul got its first Big East victory Wednesday with a 57-56 win at Marquette. The Blue Demons’ next five opponents are ranked in the KenPom Top 40.
6. Illinois State (11-10, 5-3 MVC). Last week: 7
Illinois State ended its three-game losing streak with a pair of wins last week. The Redbirds defeated Bradley on the road and Northern Iowa at home.
7. Loyola (9-11, 2-6 MVC). Last week: 6
Loyola has won two of its last three games to move into a tie for seventh place in the MVC. The Ramblers face their toughest test of the season Wednesday at Wichita State.
8. Eastern Illinois (7-13, 4-4 OVC). Last week: 8
Eastern Illinois has won three of its last four games to even up its conference record. Two of those wins have come in overtime.
9. Bradley (3-18, 1-7 MVC). Last week: 9
After dropping a close game to Illinois State, Bradley was mauled by Wichita State over the weekend. KenPom projects the Braves to win only one more game this season.
10. SIU-Edwardsville (4-16, 1-7 OVC). Last week: 10
The Cougars got swept on their road trip to Austin Peay and Murray State. They return home Thursday to face Southeast Missouri State.
11. Western Illinois (7-11, 0-7 Summit). Last week: 11
Western Illinois has not won a game in more than one month, losing nine consecutive games in that span.
12. Chicago State (4-19, 0-6 WAC). Last week: 12
Hauling a 10-game losing streak, Chicago State begins a three-game road trip Saturday at UMKC.
13. UIC (2-17, 0-8 Horizon). Last week: 13
UIC is yet to beat a Division I team this season. But with a five-game home stand about to start, that could change soon.