- St. John’s freshman and Chris Mullin played horse for the coach’s retired jersey number
- VIDEO: McIntosh discusses legacy of Northwestern point guards, upcoming season and more
- 5 thoughts from UIC’s open scrimmage
- Two Illinois State players charged with misdemeanor theft
- ISU’s Hawkins suspended indefinitely
- 2016-17 Big East season preview
- Doyle named to preseason All-MVC second team
- Loyola tabbed seventh in MVC preseason poll
- 2016-17 WAC season preview
- Where did CBS rank the five Chicago schools?
Illinois College Basketball Rankings for the Week of December 9
Voters: Jesse Kramer (The Catch and Shoot), Beau Spencer (My Summit League), Tom Fornelli (The Champaign Room), Mark Primiano (The Champaign Room), Sean Hammond (The Daily Illini), Loretta8 (Sippin’ On Purple), Chris Johnson (Inside Northwestern), Johnathan Hettinger (The Daily Illini).
1. Illinois (8-1), 104 points. Last week: 1
Illinois’ undefeated season ended with a three-point loss at Georgia Tech, but it rebounded with a neutral-site victory against Auburn. The Fighting Illini play a cupcake against Dartmouth on Tuesday and then play at Oregon on Saturday.
2. DePaul (4-4), 91 points. Last week: 2
Without star guard Brandon Young, DePaul lost by 22 points at home to Arizona State on Friday. The Blue Demons continue their homestand against Florida Atlantic and Chicago State this week.
3. Illinois State (5-4), 89 points. Last week: 5
Illinois State knocked off No. 25 Dayton on Saturday for its fourth straight victory. The Redbirds have the week off, with their next game being on Dec. 16 at Oakland.
4. Northwestern (5-5), 84 points. Last week: 3
Northwestern played in a pair of ugly games last week, winning one and losing one. The Wildcats lost at NC State on Wednesday, 69-48, but beat Western Michigan at home, 51-35, Saturday.
5. Bradley (5-4), 68 points. Last week: 4
Bradley went 0-2 last week with losses to IUPUI and Milwaukee. The Braves have now lost four of their last five games.
6. Loyola (4-5), 62 points. Last week: 6
Loyola returned home after spending its last four games on the road and defeated UIC, 73-70. The Ramblers will shoot for their first back-to-back wins of the season against Campbell on Friday.
7. Western Illinois (4-4), 47 points. Last week: 11
Western Illinois is riding a three-game winning streak after victories over Eastern Illinois and Grace Bible.
8. UIC (3-6), 40 points. Last week: 10
UIC lost a pair of close games last week to Southern Methodist and Loyola. The Flames are back in action at Southeast Missouri on Saturday.
T-9. Chicago State (4-5), 36 points. Last week: 7
In its only Division I game of the week, Chicago State lost at Illinois State. The Cougars bounced back Saturday with a win against UW-Parkside.
T-9. Southern Illinois (2-7), 36 points. Last week: 8
Southern Illinois’ non-conference struggles continued with a home loss to Western Kentucky on Saturday. The Salukis have now lost three in a row, and they will play their next game at Murray State on Dec. 17.
11. Eastern Illinois (3-6), 34 points. Last week: 9
Eastern Illinois was blown out twice this week by Western Illinois and Indiana State. The Panthers’ last three losses have all come by double digits.
12. Northern Illinois (3-4), 22 points. Last week: 12
Northern Illinois defeated Dartmouth, 64-57, Thursday for its first Division I win since San Jose State on Nov. 16. The Huskies begin a four-game road trip at Massachusetts on Saturday.
13. SIU-Edwardsville (2-7), 14 points, Last week: 13
SIU-Edwardsville defeated Texas-Pan American but then lost by a single point to Central Michigan on Saturday. The Cougars begin a three-game road trip at IPFW on Satuday.