1. Illinois (10-2), 52 points. Last week: 1
Illinois picked up its first marquee win of the season, knocking No. 23 Missouri from the ranks of the unbeaten on Saturday. The Illini will face UIC at the United Center this weekend.
2. Illinois State (7-5), 48 points. Last week: T-2
With a win over DePaul on Sunday, Illinois State has won six of its last seven games. The Redbirds open MVC play against Missouri State on Jan. 2.
3. Northwestern (7-5), 43 points. Last week: 4
Northwestern knocked off Brown, 58-52, on Sunday. The Wildcats final non-conference game is against DePaul on Friday.
4. DePaul (7-5), 41 points. Last week: T-2
DePaul’s three-game winning streak ended with a loss at Illinois State on Sunday.
5. Loyola (5-6), 34 points. Last week: 5
Loyola once again blew a double-digit lead in the second half and lost, this time to Northern Illinois. The Ramblers will finish December on the road at Fordham today.
6. UIC (5-7), 31 points. Last week: 7
UIC lost a heartbreaker to UC Riverside on Friday, 57-56. The Flames continue their four-game road trip at Colorado State tonight.
7. Bradley (5-7), 28 points. Last week: 6
Bradley’s losing streak bloated to five games with losses to Portland and Pacific in Las Vegas last weekend. The Braves return home for the first time since Dec. 4 to face South Florida this weekend.
8. Western Illinois (5-7), 23 points. Last week: 8
In its three-game round robin tournament at Utah State, Western Illinois defeated Troy but lost to UC Santa Barbara and the Aggies. The Leathernecks finish up their six-game road trip against UTEP and Alcorn State this weekend.
9. Northern Illinois (5-5), 19 points. Last week: 12
Northern Illinois won a pair of road games last week against Loyola Chicago and UC Riverside. The Huskies end their road trip at undefeated Iowa State.
10. Chicago State (5-6), 18 points. Last week: 10
Chicago State defeated SIU-Edwardsville in its only game of the week. The Cougars will have their hands full with Cincinnati and Creighton this week.
11. Southern Illinois (3-8), 14 points. Last week: 11
Southern Illinois ended its four-game losing streak with a win against Ball State. Looks like Barry Hinson’s absurd rant worked out for the Salukis, who host SIU-Edwardsville tonight.
12. Eastern Illinois (3-8), 9 points. Last week: 9
With losses to Wright State and IPFW, Eastern Illinois’ losing streak is now six games. The Colonels will begin Ohio Valley competition against Tennessee State on Saturday.
13. SIU-Edwardsville (2-9), 4 points. Last week: 13
SIU-Edwardsville fell at Chicago State last Monday by 17 points for its third straight loss. The Cougars will finish their road trip at Southern Illinois tonight.